The Ministry of Transport in a Media Statement issued today, March 26, 2020 announced measures to facilitate import and export activities as well as the logistical arrangement during the movement control order (MCO) period.
- Special Exemption to Clear Congestion at Port Klang, Penang Port and Pasir Gudang Port from March 27, Friday and March 29, 2020, Sunday
Currently, Port Klang, Penang Port and Pasir Gudang Port have reached nearly 100% of their capacities to hold goods. To ensure the sufficient capacity of ports and movement of essential goods are not affected, Port Klang, Penang Port and Pasir Gudang Port will be given special exemption to clear imports of non-essential goods out of the ports to warehouses including to factories outside the port area.
Ports will develop and implement action plans to immediately expedite the movement of goods currently congesting the warehouses in port areas.
- Export Activities to Continue
All export activities are allowed to continue with the proof of contract/ export commitment. No restriction of time has been imposed.
- Process for Import and Export of Non-Essential Goods during MCO Period with the Assistance from Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM)
- Freight forwarders and haulage companies are allowed to move imported non-essential goods out of the ports for 24 hours per day between March 27, Friday and March 29, 2020, Sunday to be delivered to warehouse outside port area or to factory premises. Both Northport and Westports have agreed to waive the storage charges for the period of March 16 to March 29, 2020.
- Manufacturers are permitted to receive import containers from ports to be cleared within the 3 days. The Government has agreed for delivery and unstuffing of the container ONLY and strictly NO production is to be carried out.
- Exports – Companies with export commitments are permitted to move containers from factory premises to the ports for exports ONLY and strictly NO production is to be carried out.
- For both import and export members are advise the following:
- Company to give authorisation letter for employees handling loading and unloading of containers to travel for factory premises.
- The authorization letter should be accompanied by the attached Media Statement by Minister of Transport
- Work closely with freight forwarders and hauliers that have been approved to carry your containers for import and export.
- Only minimum level of staff are allowed to be present for goods receiving
- Strictly NO production is allowed for non-essential goods or company that have not receive approval from respective authority ie MITI